Friday, November 6, 2009

Omayra Sanchez

When I was little,I saw this programme about tragedy and it was about this kid trapped in a water and cannot be rescued even with the help of a helicopter..

I was wondering why they couldnt help her and let her died..

The kid waved goodbye to the camera and it shocked me..Well as a kid, it really took me apart psychologically...

Then last night I saw this kid's photo on the World's Famous Photo Ever article..


That kid is Omayra Sanchez.




After so many years finding the truth (and I even thought it was a dream)..I finally understand why they cannot rescued her.

This is what I found:

Omaira Sanchez was 13 years old at the time and lived with her parents, her brother and an uncle. However, prior to the tragedy, her mother had traveled to Bogotá on business. The night of the disaster, she and her family had awakened and heard of the volcanic fluid going in their direction. In the process of evacuating to a nearby mount, Omaira's grandmother fell into a water aqueduct hole, and Omayra herself stopped with the intent to rescue her trapped sibling, when the flow reached them. Omayra got trapped under her own home's concrete and debris and could not escape. When rescue teams tried to help her, they realized that her legs were trapped.

...

I recommend to see her video on youtube,where she asked the reporter what News channel was it and ...

She sent a message to her mom..very emotional..

'"Mum, if you are listening to me, I think you are... pray so I can walk and this people can help me... Mummy, my daddy, my brother and me love you deeply. Goodbye mother"

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKL2M-qw4sU

May she rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember this too. Beautiful, brave young girl. A terribly heartbreaking end to a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This touches me so intensely, she was a beautiful little girl and her suffering... I wish her well now, wherever she is.

    ReplyDelete